- I arrived at the polls @ 6:45 this morning
- At 9:00 a poll worker came out and informed us that they weren't checking anyone in because they were full. (Full???) Their process was to check you in, give you a number, escort you to the auditorium where you would wait until your number was called. Then you would wait in line for your turn at the polls. The auditorium holds 400 people. In 2 hours they hadn't been able to move even 1/2 of those people through? I'd only moved all of 1,000 feet in two hours. (Mr. W just informed me that 1,000 feet is 1/5 of a mile. I'd moved a maximum of 200 feet)
- At 9:05 another poll worker was explaining the same thing but also informed us that 3 of the 9 machines had broken. This caused a serious stirring among the crowd (read: some people grumbled, but others started yelling about it trying to get people as riled up as they were).
- At 9:30 I had almost made it to the door of the school. I would probably have to wait at least another 30+ minutes to even be checked in and given a number.
- At 9:30 a really nice woman (voter, not poll worker) walked up to me and told me that her husband had spoken with the curbside voting worker and he agreed to let me do curbside voting.
- At 9:35 I found my way to curbside voting and the attendant begrudgingly allowed me to vote. (He obviously wasn't too fond of letting me vote this way since I didn't have a handicap placard.)
- At 9:45 I was the proud owner of 3 "I Voted" stickers! The guy that checked me in was nice enough to give me a sticker for each of the babies' books. :-)
After all of that I ran through a drive through for second-breakfast (I feel like a hobbit, but I was starving again!) then headed home. By 10:00 I was asleep on my couch where I remained until my Mom called and woke me up at 1:30. Now I sit and wait for the results!
ADDED:
So all the people that were in line @ 7:00 (as long as they're willing to wait) still get to vote. Which means that SC probably won't be done reporting their votes until sometime next week! We're such a backwards freaking state!!!! I've noticed from other blogs that no one else seems to have had issues with lines that were many hours long. WTF???
7 comments:
Oh my gosh, what a hassle! I can't believe there isn't a more efficient way to do this.
Glad you made it through!
I got to vote by mail, which was so worth it. I can't believe your line was SO long. I'm glad someone worked it out for you to vote curbside.
I am so very glad that I get to vote by mail!!!
yay for all of you who could vote.
You should be proud...you gave a lot of yourself to vote...you earned that nap!
I voted last week, so I only had to wait 35ish minutes.
Go you for voting!
Hi. I came across your blog in my blog hopping after finding many great and helpful blogs from the "Conceive" mag. I have so many things in common with you!! It's so nice to come across people like you and know that other women share the same feelings. Anyhow...I would LOVE to share some questions/feelings/ideas/venting with you. If you are interested (and don't feel obligated by any means- you can press delete at anytime :) ) drop me an e-mail. I would greatly appreciate your time.
kwelshrdh@hotmail.com
Have a great day
Post a Comment