Thursday, November 20, 2008

Appointment Update and Schedules

In bullets because I'm that tired right now.  :-)

  •  I seriously love my midwife.  I think she could tell me that I'm going to have to inject myself every day for six weeks and I'd still be happy and smiling.  Wait...she did tell me that and I did remain happy and smiling.  More on that in a second, though.  I just want the world to know that this woman rocks and makes almost every single visit a pleasure!

  • My cervix is softening.  I'm a fingertip dilated on the outside, but still 1.5 cm long.  She said she couldn't tell about the inside because someone had a butt planted down there (Baby A).

  • I'm scheduled for the first procedure of the morning for December 11.  I can't believe how excited I am to having something on the schedule!  This is, of course, just a back-up plan in case the boys don't decide to come before then.  I'll be honest and say that I'd like to naturally go into labor anytime before then (even right before would be OK).  I'd just like my body to be aware that it's about to lose its occupants before they're ripped out.  I know that a C-section will be a necessity with them both being breech, and I'm really OK with that now.

  • It is documented in my file that I have the Prothrombin Factor II gene mutation, so they want me to do Lovenox injections for 6 weeks after my C-section.  This is a precautionary measure because I don't have a history of blood clots.  But of course my Dad didn't have a history when he had his appendectomy, and that didn't stop him from throwing multiple blood clots to both lungs afterwards (hell of a way to find out you have a gene mutation).

  • The nurse working with me and the boys from my NST this morning stated that breech babies were usually much easier to monitor.  I think she jinxed herself!  She spent almost an hour sitting right beside me moving, twisting, and pushing on the monitor for Baby B.  He's a sensitive little guy, and does not like to be touched.  She commented on how she could actually feel him pushing the monitor away  (not kicking, but pushing).  Over the hour period she managed to get a cumulative 10 minutes of baseline monitoring for him and quite a few accelerations.  Baby A, on the other hand, stayed put and did exactly what he was supposed to.  This is such a change from how they normally are (We barely have any good u/s shots of Baby A due to the fact that he is so uncooperative).

  • I can only imagine what babies are thinking when they stick the little vibrator thingy against them to wake them up.  "What the hell?!?!  What was that for?!?!"  Baby A had apparently gone to sleep and she wanted one more acceleration, and needed a few more for Baby B, so she stuck the vibrator thingy by him.  He immediately jerked and had an acceleration.  Poor kid.  Ha-ha!

  • I finally felt (and knew what I was feeling) one of the little guys have the hiccups.  I don't feel Baby A as much as Baby B due to his positioning, but today the nurse pointed out that he had the hiccups.  I could hear the static on the machine every time he hiccuped then realized I was feeling a little tap in my lower abdomen at the same time.  It made me smile.  :-)

  • Today was a very wonderful appointment.  My questions were answered.  I didn't feel rushed through like a head of cattle.  I have a date on the calendar.  I am a very happy camper right now!


 **************************



I really want to start a few posts on things that I am blessed with.  I read a post the other day and it's had me thinking since then.  I am very blessed, and not just with this pregnancy, but with so much more.  It's about time I acknowledge this.  Heads up for sappy posts about the things in my life I'm thankful for (besides my new bottle of Tums)!

8 comments:

alison said...

Yay for a good day! December 11th sounds like a perfect day for a birthday!

Jen said...

I'm glad things are going so well!

Io said...

This all sounds awesome. (Well, ok, not the blood clot stuff, but everything else.) The hiccups thing is too cool.

Nancy said...

WOW!

I totally understand how c-sections are necessary for the breech. I'm sorry you don't get a chance to have a vaginal delivery but you know what? Once your boys are in your arms, you won't give a flying fuck how they got there!

Geohde said...

I didn't get checked at my 35 week visit, but judging by the fact that I turned up in labour, dilated and contracting several days later at a very inconvenient 3am I bet I didn't have 1.5cm left! Bet you make your date ;)

J

christina (apronstrings) said...

wow, this is all so exciting. cate didn't like anything trying to bother her in the womb. she would punch and kick when they were trying to get her heart rate. it was very funny. or so i thought. she not so much.
anyway!! ia mso crazy excited for all of you.

K @ ourboxofrain said...

A date! How incredibly exciting!

I loved the hiccups with one baby -- it must feel unreal with two.

Rebecca said...

The hiccups are cool...my babies pushed the monitors off too...I can understand why...I wanted to push them off myself! Glad to hear all is well!