When I moved to Charleston, the first people I met were J & A. They took me in and introduced me to more people. They made me feel at home.
Over the years, as I'd moved around a bit and our interest diverged, we grew apart. But J was always there if I needed her and I've always done my best to be there for J.
Last winter J called me sounding on the verge of a nervous breakdown. She'd begun having anxiety attacks and didn't have anyone else to talk to about it. Her closest friend told her to check herself into an institution (come on! for anxiety attacks! first thing is they won't take you...trust me. second thing is, they're anxiety attacks, not hallucinations or voices). She was scared and I was as there for her as I could be.
About a month later J went to a doctor due to a "sinus infection" she'd had for over 3 months. It turns out that the majority of her anxiety and her sinus infection symptoms were being caused by polyps in her sinuses. The polyps were pressing against her brain and eating away at her skull. She was given a price tag for a necessary surgery that was way beyond anything she could come up with in a timely manner. She has no insurance and a poor paying job.
While J was saving money for her surgery, her car broke down. Mr. W managed to keep it running for her, but to truly get it fixed she'd have to fork out almost a grand.
Within a couple of weeks J called again. Her father died suddenly of a massive heart attack. J's mother did not handle it well, she has a multitude of health problems. The night of J's father's receiving, J called again. Her mother was in the hospital and they weren't sure if she was going to survive the night.
J's mother missed her husband's funeral, but managed to pull through. J had to put her mother in a nursing home (J's mother is in her early 50's). J had/has no place to live and her boyfriend (A) was/is not supportive.
The only good news in the story: J finally managed to scrape together the money for her surgery and it went off without a hitch! All of the polyps were removed! Her anxiety decreased drastically and her sinus issues cleared up almost completely!
Over the next few months J's mother went downhill. She has no will to live and it's only a matter of time before her body gives out. J is heartbroken, but knows that her mother wants to be with her father.
Night before last J stayed at A's house. She awoke in the middle of the night to strange noises coming from A. He was having a grand mal seizure. She called 911 and rolled him onto his side. She saved his life. He had chewed up his tongue pretty badly and was choking on his own blood.
Yesterday A was kept in the hospital because the seizures continued and he had developed a fever. They did a range of tests. This morning the doctor's informed them that he has a cancerous tumor in his brain. They're going to transfer him to MUSC (same hospital I'll deliver at) so he can receive the best treatment. That's all the know right now.
Seriously...how does one person have so many horrible things happen in their life all within one year???
Any prayers, good vibes, good thoughts, chicken dances, anything for J & A would be greatly appreciated right now. This poor woman needs something in her life to get better.
10 comments:
Good God! I'll be praying that things turn around for her before she goes completely insane. I mean ... I agree completely ... how much can one person handle before just losing it?!?
Oh my god! That is a horrible story...it's so sad to think that it's actually someone's life story. It's good that she has such a good friend in you...I'm sure that she's thankful. Keep strong and I will be thinking of her.
Omg. Will keep her in my prayers.
Wow, that is a lot of horrible luck. I am so sorry. I will keep her in my thoughts.
Oh god, that's terrible. I will keep her in my prayers.
That is terrible! Prayers coming her way!!
See..every time I would get to feeling sorry for myself about IF...I'd try to remind myself that some people out there really do have it worse. Good grief...that poor girl.
That is truly terrible. Any one or two of those things could break a person -- all of them within a year would be unreal. It sounds like you've been a really good friend to her through it. I hope some of her other friends have stepped up as well.
I'll be thinking of and praying for her.
This tears my heart out. Even with all that my husband and I have been through over the last year, I know that we are fortunate. I will keep your friend(s) in my thoughts. :(
Oh my goodness... I am still getting chillbumps for this poor girl. I can't imagine how in the world she is not in so much distress to be hospitalized. That is so much (individually) for anyone to go through... but for it all to be compounded?!
I'm glad she is able to talk to you & release some venting!
[...] 18, 2008 · No Comments Almost two weeks ago I wrote about my friend J (post is here). Her and A have gotten an update. Stage 4 cancer. A softball size tumor in his head that has [...]
Post a Comment