Monday, November 5, 2007

To fly or not to fly (with added dialogue)


That is the question. I'm terrified of flying. I have never done it and have always been of the mindset that if God wanted me to fly, I'd have wings. Now I'm faced with a situation (read: offer of a mini vacation and the possibility of conception). Here goes.

Mr. W will be out of town with work for two weeks in December. Right in the middle of those two weeks is when I will be ovulating and when we would be allowed to start trying again. I was pretty upset by that at first...but now an opportunity has been made available. I've been told by Mr. W, two of his co-workers/friends, and his boss that I should fly out.

I know about when I should be ovulating. I have a ton of vacation days available. My job has already told me that I just need to give them enough notice if I'm going to take time off. Why shouldn't I do this?

Here's why:
  1. Even the thought of flying terrifies me. By terrify, I pretty much mean petrified with fear.
  2. It will cost about $400 for the plane ticket. Although I know that's not that expensive, this is two weeks before Christmas that I'm talking about.
  3. Seriously...have I mentioned how scared I am to fly?
So I'd really like some input from all of the wonderful people out in the blogosphere. What would you do?

Oh yeah...and I mentioned this to my bosses...and told them why I wanted to go(I'm over trying to be secretive about TTC). One's response was, "Why not wait until January?" My reply to her was, "Because that would mean that we wasted a month." Her response to that was, "So! You've got the rest of your life to have kids. Once you have them you have them forever." I chose to argue my family history of early menopause. Other boss said, "You might get so stressed out [due to flying] that you won't even drop an egg." My response to her was, "It's possible."

10 comments:

Elaine said...

I was the same way-terrified to fly. I had never done it before, and like you, just thinking about it made my heart race! However, K and I went on vacation in August and I decided I was ready. It's not near as bad as you think it would be (the descent made me a little sick), but other than that, it's pretty boring.

So, if "flying" is all that stopping you, Girl--If I can do it, anyone can, and I will certainly be your cheerleader!!! It's really not that bad, and I'm pretty much a weenie at almost everything!

Erin said...

Do it! You'll have a goal in mind, so hopefully you can see through your fear. I don't love flying, but it sure gets you places fast! I say, a couple Tylenol PM and a glass of wine at the airport and you'll be good to go!

"Why not wait until January?" real nice, lady.

Fertilize Me said...

I'm all for fun and trips AND sex at fertile windows!! i say go for it

SaraS-P said...

Just wait until January? They clearly don't get it :)

And I don't agree that flying stress would suppress ovulation. It would have to be chronic stress in my opinion to do that. If it is your window, your bod would already be geared up to release that big juicy egg you've been growing!

Geohde said...

I'm not the best person to ask. I spent a night driving interstate once to shag because I was ovulating. I'd fly in a heartbeat.

Courtney said...

I do fly and have flown some long trips, but I am definitely an anxious flyer. My stomach always decides to turn on me when I am waiting on a flight. Uggghhh.

What I can say is that once I get to where I am going, the memories I make there far exceed the anxiety. There is probably no way for you to have a stress free first trip, but I bet you won't regret it once you get to your destination. :)

Baby Step said...

You need to fly! Just buy lots of the mini-bar bottles, to take the edge off.

Chas said...

Just do it! I am a very apprehensive flyer myself and avoid it at all costs, but you've got to do what you've got to do.

moosk said...

i'm a pretty regular flyer, but it still makes me a bit nervous. i know i would probably do it (i flew 6 hours to be with dh during one cycle).

would you be able to fly with dh? i wouldn't recommend going by yourself for the first time. i would also suggest planning some fun vacation-y things for when you get there, so it's not just about the bd-ing. good luck!

-moosk

Kristen said...

I've flown a good amount of times and the hardest part for me is take off and landing. While we're in the air, I barely even notice honestly.

I wouldn't recommend going it alone either. Be sure to go with DH for your first time if at all possible. It will just help to make you more at ease.