Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ever seen Money Pit?

I'm pretty sure whoever wrote the screenplay for that movie had my house in mind. No really, they had to!

Mr. W asked me to help him find the cause of a little leak he found under the house. Ok...easy enough! This should only take a few minutes!

NO!!! WRONG!!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!

We managed to make the leak show itself (before it was a wet spot on the ground). It wasn't promising. Then Mr. W cleared out the cleaning supplies from beneath the kitchen sink and cut a hole in the wall. Nope...leak was higher up.

Mr. W cut cleared out the cabinet to the side of the sink and cut a hole in the wall. Nope...leak was a little lower. Damn it!!!

***background info***
Mr. W has redone our kitchen two times already. He has put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into my beautiful kitchen.
***back to story***

Mr. W cut a hole in the wall between the counter top and the cabinet. We have a winner!!! The pipe in the wall was freaking busted!!! And not only was it a busted pipe, it's the main drain pipe for the master bathroom. Disgusting!!!! (for those that don't know, as I didn't earlier, everything that goes down my toilet, down my sink, or down my tub drain, goes down this pipe. please hold while I vomit and wash my hands profusely.)

He and I then spent the next few hours trying to cut and piece this pipe. We had holes all through our kitchen wall, and couldn't get it fixed. Mr. W even crawled under the house again to try and cut the pipe and pull it down. No good.

Finally my sister's hubby came over. He managed to put a new perspective on the same stuff we'd been trying to do. They finally had to pull a few pieces of siding down and cut out the outside wall to fix it.

This "little" project started around noon today. At 11:27 this evening, it's done. Well, the functional part of it is, at least. Tomorrow I get to clean everything up. Mr. W gets to patch drywall. Mr. W and I get to hang some new siding. Yay.

I guess I should just count myself lucky that I have someone who is capable of doing these things. Sigh.

6 comments:

Fertilize Me said...

are you trying to get your own home repair show? Goodness the mess- so sorry

E said...

Oh wow - those pictures hit WAY close to home. My husband is a DIY plumber too, and while he has always solved whatever problems come up, it is SO often in the wee hours of the night/morning when he's actually done. I'm with you though. It's great that we're with people who can actually handle this stuff, even though it doesn't always seem that great when you've got a hand covered in toilet waste. Good luck tomorrow!

Baby Step said...

I was going to say! If that was my house we would have had to call a plumber at $100 an hour, and the leak would probably start up again in two weeks!

Geohde said...

Egads!

That sounds like it got ugly, not to mention having to cut so many holes in your lovely walls,

J

Courtney said...

That is amazing that you all found where the leak was! Those home projects never seem to take the same amount of time that you think they will.

Cece said...

That same thing happens to me all the freaking time. My husband has been working on converting our three season porch into a real room since March. MARCH.

: (