Monday, December 8, 2008

Bodily Confusion

I feel stupid even wondering this, but how are my breasts going to know that it's time for them to get to work?  I think I'm the only person that I know that has made it to 37 weeks (hooray!!!) without any leakage.  And since my body seems content to carry these two until they're cut out, how are the girls going to know it's time?  I know that Oxytocin is the natural chemical in your body that causes uterine contractions and also sends signals to your breasts to start producing...so without labor, how is my body going to know?

Again, I feel stupid for worrying about this.  People have scheduled C-sections all the time and I'm sure they're able to breastfeed their children.  But my fear is I'll put my boys to my breast and they're going to suck on nothing.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not scared of having to give them formula, I'm scared of the pain I imagine having one of those little vacuum like mouths sucking on a dry well.  Ouch!

12 comments:

alison said...

I wonder things like this too. But then again I think it's pretty amazing that if we're lucky enough, our bodies know how to grow a human being (or TWO!), so I'm not going to sweat it. And you shouldn't either. :)

moosk said...

i can't believe you're so close!! how does this happen?!?! i was reading my little mayo clinic pregnancy book about breastfeeding, and i think that the sucking induces your breast to let down their milk... it's somewhat common for women not to have leakage before the babies are born. don't worry, and if you do, ask your nurse/doc... that's what they're there for!

good luck!!

Sugar & Ice said...

I delivered LG at 38 weeks, and I'd never had any leakage, so you're not the only one. I asked my lactation consultant about the whole c-section/milk coming in thing....she said your body knows it's time when you deliver the placenta, regardless of whether you've been leaking or not. So, since the placenta is delivered either way, it really doesn't make a difference. She said some people will tell you that c-section moms have more trouble with breastfeeding because their body doesn't know it has delivered, and she said that is ludicrous.

geohde said...

The amount of colostrum you produce while pregnant is not prdicitive of ability to breastfeed, so don't worry about that. I had loads, and no milk.

As for your girls getting the signal to go to work, don't worry. There's two major hormones involved- one is the oxytocin that is stimulated by suckling at the breast (and given IV at the end of a c-section to help your uterus contract down so you don't bleed) and causes let down. The other main hormone is prolactin- this increases throughout your pregnancy, but is kept from causing lactation by the high levels of estrogen and progesterone from the placentas.

Once the placentas go, the estrogen and progesterone fall and the breasts will start making milk as there is nothing opposing the prolactin.

So it doesn't matter which mode of delivery you have, the girls will get the signal!

Oh, and people like myself (lactational dunces) are the minority.

J

nancy said...

Ditto to J, except I had no leakage and tons of milk. Don't worry - it'll work!

Tracy said...

Jo has you covered, but so you know, I went past 37 weeks and didn't leak once. And I was engorged within 3-4 days after I delivered, so you'll be fine! :)

Farah said...

i didnt leak either - ditto all other comments

topcat said...

Amanda!! I am sending you all my love and light from Downunder. Thinking of you!!! SO MUCH.

Good luck. You will be fine, it's not scary I promise!

XOXOXOXOXOXOX

christina (apronstrings) said...

don't feel stupid! i had zero leakage. in fact i had nothing until 3 days after she was born. and i've had nothing but tons of milk since then.

Rebecca said...

Hey! I didn't leak...I didn't even know until I just read your website that you were SUPPOSED to leak before birth. I carried these two to 38 w 3 d...no leakage at all. I think I had trouble b/c I got really sick on their third day in this world and that's like the most important day for milk...you'll be fine! Hey! Is it SNOWING on your blog page?? Cool...

Denise said...

Thanks for posting this question. I've been wondering the same thing.

mrslala said...

Mine never leaked! I did go into labor, but not active labor and my milk came in after two or three days just like it's supposed to.

I have no clue how it all works, but it does! lol