Thursday, December 4, 2008

37 week update (of sorts)

Well, the update is...there is nothing really to update. 

In the past three weeks my cervix has not changed enough to make note of.  Really?  Really.  It doesn't help that Baby A is laying transverse in the bottom of my uterus and Baby B is breach (as high up as he can get himself) on the my right side.  There's literally no help from the kids as far as the cervix goes.  I'm pretty sure they want out, though.  My belly looks eerily like it could lead to the scene in Alien most nights.  I'm convinced Baby B is trying to go-into-the-light (didn't I read they can see light through the belly).  I'm quite tempted to stick a flashlight down by my girly bits and see if maybe they don't come on down.

I'm thinking as positively as I can that this is best for the boys.  The more time they have checking out my insides equals less time they have checking out the inside of the hospital.  But don't mention this to me at 5:30 in the morning when I've given up on sleeping due to the discomfort and pain.  ;-)

I guess there is a little to update on.  I have been telling everyone, medical professionals and family, that my left leg is more swollen that my right.  Monday, when I went to my doctors' office for the swelling, they measured my calves and explained that they were the same size.  This is good.  Today I saw one of the MFM doctors and he said the same thing, but just to play it safe he wanted to send me to the hospital for an ultrasound on my legs to rule out a clot.  I'm really not sure what prompted him to do this since I have zero symptoms of a blood clot (legs do appear to be the same size, no pain, no redness, no numbness, no "heat"), but of course I complied.  I guess it's the Factor II mutation and family history.  FYI, if you're ever going for an u/s on your legs, wear some undies that cover your ass unless you're really proud of the shape of it.  Anyway, the technician that did my u/s confirmed what I've been saying.  My left leg IS more swollen that my right leg.  Yes, they measure the same and appear the same (except my left foot does look puffier), but they're not.  She had a hell of a time doing what she needed to on my left leg because of the extra fluid in it.  I'm right side dominant people!  The muscles in my right arm and leg are more developed than my left...it's natural!  But the good news is there are no clots.  She was super paranoid, and admitted this, and told me that if the swelling increases AT ALL to call my doctor IMMEDIATELY so they can scan them again.  The way I took this is, "If you notice the swelling getting worse than it has been, not worse than it is right now, but worse than it usually is by the end of the day, then call your doctor immediately.  If the swelling continues with it's normal trends, horrific at night and only scary in the mornings, continue with life as normal since you'll have your babies and your blood thinner next week anyway."  The funny thing is that my midwife told me on Monday to rest more to get the swelling to go down and the technician was adamant that I need to move more to get the swelling to go down.  Mr. W and I both agree that what the technician said makes much more sense.  Plus, I actually did a couple of things around the house and cooked dinner last night and it seemed to help. 

********************************************

Oooh!  I should update on the house!!!  The only things we have left are the little things!  Mr. W needs to touch up the nail holes in the baseboards, re-caulk some trim then touch up with paint, and balance one seriously noisy ceiling fan (I guess it throws a fan off balance if you hit it with a mattress).  We need to pick out accessories for the guest and master bathroom and decor for the living room.  We need to install shelves and rods in our closet (can't wait, he's agreed to really nice wooden organizer stuff!!!)  And that's it!!!

As far as the nursery goes, we still need one more set of bedding and the mobiles.  We also need to hang some banners that my sister made.  At some point we're going to install one of those wire closet organizer things, but it's not necessary quite yet.  After that, it's ready to be destroyed occupied by the boys!  Actually, I have no problem with it the way it is, but the rest of the house is falling together so beautifully so I want the nursery to do the same.

After so many years of working on a family and a house it's finally all coming together.  I. Am.  So.  Happy.  :-D

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Things are coming along with you and your nursery! The swelling is the worst...I can't believe they scanned your legs. Take pictures b/c you'll wake up the day after giving birth and you won't believe how skinny your legs will look! You'll be so happy to have a normal looking lower half again! 37 week...way to go!

Mrs Spock said...

My son is 7 months old and you are farther along in the nursery decor than we are. My husband has yet to finish the closet...

I was very edematous during pregnancy (20 lbs worth) and none of the advice worked for me- my edema was estrogen related, as I found out when I took BCP for the first time ever 6 weeks postpartum. I developed edema again- and I'm still on a diuretic to get rid of it...

Farah said...

I'm going to cry from your happiness!

Denise said...

5:30am? I usually give in by 4am.

Hang in there. You are doing so great!

geohde said...

A word of warning. Take BIG shoes to hospital. The swelling gets worse after you give birth.

Jealous of your gestational longevity, although I understand too well just how uncomfortable you are right now,

J

alison said...

Yay for mostly good news. The swelling is scary, but I hope it stays under control! These little guys will be here before you know it! :)