Friday, January 25, 2008

a couple of questions

Is Zoloft safe to take during pregnancy? 

It seems that I've read that at least a few of you lovely pregnant ladies out there are on it.  I would love to know that there is something I can take.  I was on Zoloft for quite a while, but the doc said I needed an upgrade so I switched to The Devil (Effexor).  The Devil is not fetus-friendly, so that didn't last.  Since May I haven't been taking anything except for the tinniest amount of Xanax right after my BCMEP.  I think my sanity is wearing thin at this point.

Since I took Provera to bring on AF, but AF started on day 9 of taking the meds instead of waiting until the proper amount of time had passed after taking the meds...is it possible that I'm PMS-ing?  (how's that for a poorly structured sentence) 

It's only CD 13 and I am an emotional mess.  It started yesterday and has only gotten worse.  This could directly relate to question number one.  Hormones really suck.  Of course this could also be related to the fact that my evil drug addicted lovely brothers-in-law are coming to torture and drive me insane visit this weekend.  I've actually told Mr. W in a very matter of fact way that if they start to annoy me too much, I'm staying with my sister the rest of the weekend.

On that note; Mr. W reminded me that Bacardi Silver and Diet Coke is supposed to be low cal (possibly zero calories).  He's promised to pick up a bottle of Bacardi for me.  Maybe this weekend will be livable after all.  How early is too early for a rum and coke on Saturday?  Hee hee hee...

7 comments:

Io said...

I'm pretty sure it is NEVER too early...

Jen said...

I have no idea about the Zoloft. Sorry.

I vote rum and coke is acceptable for Saturday starting on Friday night. Will that be early enough? :)

maria said...

I agree it's never too early for a drink. Love your new bathroom. YAY Mr.W!

Sorry I can't help with the Zoloft.

K @ ourboxofrain said...

As for the rum and cokes -- I'm with Jen -- acceptable for Saturday starting Friday night :)

As for Zoloft, you definitely would want to talk to your doctor re Zoloft during pregnancy -- many will prescribe it (or Prozac), but more will not. There haven't been controlled studies of Zoloft in pregnant humans. There has been an FDA warning against use from 20 weeks through lactation for the past 18 months or so. Most doctors will only prescribe it during pregnancy if the potential rewards will clearly outweigh the risks, and the risks can be relatively significant (though so can the rewards, for a woman suffering from depression, hence the need to balance). The FDA's site has more info: http://www.fda.gov/cder/drug/infopage/sertraline/default.htm -- the Prescribing Information link has pregnancy info but you have to scroll toward the end of the document. Again, talk to your doctor.

Katie said...

Looks like you have already gotten the information on Zoloft, but I agree with everyone else - talk to your doctor! Mine always have goodies up their sleeves for times like these!

peesticksandstones said...

I'm about to start IVF while still on Zoloft -- my RE totally had no qualms about it (sounds like half his patients are on it).

I do have a lot of concerns, though, about what risks I'm exposing the to/what happens if I get pregnant, that I need to talk to my psychiatrist about. Have an appointment next week to discuss. Will probably post anything interesting I find out on my blog.

Take care of yourself! I've been very interested in how folks handle mental health stuff with IF treatment (including meds), but have not found as much info as I'd like yet.

Elaine said...

Hi Amanda,

I was on Zoloft while ttc, and my doc said it was safe to use. I hope this helps!

Also, I hope your weekend wasn't too uncomfortable with the family visiting!