Friday, April 4, 2008

I hate thinking of titles.

Today is CD14 and my cbefm is still showing high, as it has since CD9.  But no O, yet.  Don't worry, though.  I haven't come close to giving up hope.  O is usually CD17.

Let me just say I'm not a big fan of Clomid, though.  This may be situational, but I've been irritable and depressed since a couple of days after starting the damn drug.  Of course my brother broke his leg and had to have surgery (he's doing wonderful, thank you to everyone!), my sister's father-in-law had a heart attack days later and had to have a bypass, my dryer broke, and my brother's wife had to go to the emergency room and got diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and doesn't quite know what to do since they have no insurance.  I think I'm a little tired of reality right now.  But I bought a book and plan on vegging out this weekend and hiding from reality for a little bit.  At least we found out that my brother only has 1 gene for Factor V Leiden mutation.  But I'm not sure of that because I got that news straight from my brother...he doesn't listen, was in pain when it was explained to him, and was heavily drugged by the time he explained it to me.  ***edited*** I spoke with my Dad and apparently my brother has Factor V Leiden Mutation Heterozygous (one gene).

Speaking of blood disorders...does anyone know anything about Factor II Prothrombin (also called Prothrombin 20210A or PT20210 Mutation or Factor II Mutation)?  Or Factor V Leiden?  Those are the blood disorders that seem to run rampant in my family.  Factor II almost killed my dad a few years back.  My cousin lost a twin pregnancy due to Factor V.  A combination of one of these caused my Uncle to lose fingers.  I know the basics about them, but not how serious they are in pregnancy.  I don't know how to get tested for them.  I asked my primary care physician to order a test for them a year ago, but he had never heard of the Factor II and didn't quite know how to write the order.  And apparently I wasn't actually tested for it since all they did was a clotting test.  From all the googling I've done today it seems that it can only truly be determined if you have it by doing a genetic test.  What would you guys do?

But at least it's Friday!  And almost time to go home!  Hooray!

And if you haven't checked this out...now's as good a time as any:





U.T.E.R.U.S.


 

 


Take Back the U.T.E.R.U.S.

5 comments:

Farah said...

Reality Bites right now for you! Sendiong hugs- You need a vegg out weekend! I hope you get to relax some.

Jen said...

I hate thinking of titles too.

No wonder you have been irritable and depressed. You've got enough going on to make you stressed out without taking extra hormones.

Io said...

Yeah, even without clomid, it sounds like it's been rough.

Geohde said...

Its been a while since I've thought about this stuff, but I would go something like screening for:

Prothrombin gene mutation (I have no idea how they would write the request in the US but it is VERY easy for your doc to pick up the phone and call the lab and ASK. They love questions.)

ATIII level

Factor V leiden

Protein C and Protein S levels

Homocysteine level

Antiphospholipid and anticardiolipin antibodies

That's a reasonable panel to begin with. You probably should get tested for all and not just bits and pieces because my fading haematological knolwedge tells me that combinations of homozygosity for more than one problem can be significant.

J

Angela said...

I have no idea, unfortunately. I know what my doctor called it and I know which gene it is and I know my homoctysteine levels were normal (yay for no lack of folic acid!), and I know heparin is a must and that I can never go back onto birth control (pffft). Otherwise, I have no idea and now I'm going to have to research it all again hah

As for clomid - I hate that stuff. Hate. Hate. Hate. But you've also had a pretty crummy week *hugs*