Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Not quite as I had planned - updated with pic

I had my first OB appointment and real ultrasound for this pregnancy today.  I am currently 7w6d.  The Nugget is only measuring 5w6d and the heartbeat is too weak to measure (for the record, at 5w6d a too weak to measure heartbeat is perfectly fine).  Two weeks behind. This is not good.

The very cheery ultrasound tech informs me that I must have my dates wrong.  I am pretty damn sure my dates are fine; it's the baby that's not.  For the baby to be OK I would have to have conceived right around 12/10...you know...the day I had a beta of 68.  Pretty sure that didn't happen.  She was cheery and positive nonetheless. I appreciate her optimism.  I honestly do.

The doctor was a bit more realistic.  He didn't schedule me for another OB appointment, just another ultrasound.  He wanted to wait two weeks, but Tim will be out of the country in two weeks. I cannot go to my next ultrasound without him.  He also mentioned the yolk sac size vs the embryo size and used the lovely word "chromosomal".  Yeah...large sac small baby...genetically not right, I get it.

So for now I sit and wait for a miracle.  I'm not very good at waiting or at optimism.  I'm a realistic type of person.  Tim is being wayyyy optimistic and I'm trying to not crush his spirit.  I'd really like to go ahead and see if my Mom can come into town in two weeks so I can have someone here to let me be a big baby if I have to get a D&C.

The worst part?  Seeing that little flickering heart.  She let us look at it for a couple of minutes...it was both beautiful and heartbreaking.  I think I would have rather not seen a heartbeat at all.  She also gave us a picture.  Proof that my Nugget was here.

But I am still grateful for things.  I'm grateful that after this horrible day I still have to beautiful little ones to come home to.  I'm grateful to have a husband that is so supportive and hopeful.  I'm grateful that this happened after I had my boys instead of before.  I had a moment in 5 Guys (burger joint) after the appointment where I heard a little baby and turned around to see a beautiful little girl in a carrier.  I almost cried until it hit me like a brick that whether or not I get to keep this baby, I still have my boys.  Thank you God!  (don't get me wrong, this hurts like hell and I'd love to curl into a ball and sob, but it IS easier at this point than my first loss.)

So, if you pray, please pray for my Nugget.  If you don't pray, I could still use all the good thoughts and well wishes you would be willing to give.

[caption id="attachment_1345" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="The Nugget at 7w6d Measuring 5w6d - Sorry for the blurriness, she had to zoom in majorly to get the shot."][/caption]

Danifred could also use some love right now.  She went in for an ultrasound only to find out the baby had quit growing.

30 comments:

g said...

Honey, I am so very sorry.

Hoping that somehow screwy dates are to blame, but I do agree w your analysis.

This sucks.

Thinking of you,

g

uncomplicateme said...

I'm eternally optimistic, so I will hold out mounds of hope that Nugget will do some catching-up before the next u/s. I'm so sorry your news today wasn't quite what you had planned. Sending lots of prayers and hugs. xo

Amanda said...

Thank you so much. I wish I could explain how nice it is to actually have someone not tell me how wrong I could be.

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I am really hoping that this all works out in the end and there is a perfectly healthy and good reason the baby is measuring a little behind. Thinking of you!

Meghan said...

I'm am so sorry. I would definately bring someone to your next appt with you. Dont want to do that alone. I'll keep you all in my thoughts until your next ultrasound

Megan said...

Ugh. I'm sorry your first ultrasound wasn't just lovely like it should've been. I will pray for your nugget and for you. I hope you can manage to not freak out before your next ultrasound, and most of all I hope that there ends up not even being a reason to freak out after all.

K said...

I'm thinking of you. I'm so sorry for this agonizing place you are in. *hugs*

LFCA

Myndi said...

Wow, I am really sorry that this is happening to you. Definitely make sure your mother is available. You don't want to be alone if the worst comes to pass. I do hope that doesn't end up being the case, but just in case...if things turn around, it will be nice to have someone to share the joy with as well. Wishing you the best. :)

Caro said...

Oh love, I'll be thinking of you and hoping.

Anla said...

I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I am hoping and praying for you.

May said...

Also thinking of you. I'm sorry. Many hugs and best wishes.

dawno2008 said...

I am so sorry, praying that some how a miracle happens. The wait is so very hard. ((hugs))

Jo said...

I am so sorry you are going through this stress right now. Just out of curiosity, do you know whether or not you have a retroverted (tilted) uterus? I do, and in my research I've discovered that it is fairly common for women whose uterus tilts backwards (vs the "normal" forwards) often will measure 1-2 weeks behind in early pregnancy, only to have their babies "catch up" in the second trimester. It's got to do with the angles of everything. There are also lots of stories of women who didn't hear a heartbeat (or see a baby) at 6, 7, or 8 weeks and suddenly saw everything at 9,10, even 12 weeks. If you're curious, chek out http://www.misdiagnosedmiscarriage.com for more information.

In the meantime, I'll be praying for you and your little one.

Hugs,
Jo

Hugs,
Jo

Amanda said...

As far as I know my uterus isn't titled. I very much appreciate the link and your prayers!!

chicklet said...

Ugh, that all just makes it so damn hard. YOu're supposed to get to go in there and see good things - not scary things, not things that make you wait longer for good things. I'll be hoping for you that this all turns around.

Nonnie said...

Man...that sucks! I am so sorry you have to sit and wait, not knowing. I'll be thinking of you!!

Delenn said...

Thinking of you and hoping that for all the unfairness in the world, you can have a miracle.

Mina said...

I have you in my thoughts and prayers!

LFCA

Jennifer said...

Oh no. I'm so sorry that things didn't go well today. I can understand how the cheeriness of others rubs the wrong way when you know better. I'm sending lots of good thoughts and prayers.

eep6 said...

Oh no - I really hope your mom can go to the appointment with you. Thinking good thoughts for you and your family.

Katie said...

Oh, honey.

I know just enough to be dangerous, and like you, I am too realistic when it comes to this stuff. That being said. . .

miracles DO happen. I have heard stories like this that DO end happily.

Praying that this is the case here.

Angela said...

I'm so sorry, Amanda. Gah this sucks beyond words.

Rotten said...

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Nothing about it sounds like any fun. We're all pulling for the Nugget out here on the West Coast and hoping for great news in two weeks, but if the news is not good, then we'll still be here for whatever you need.

Kymberli said...

I'm thinking of you and will be hoping and praying that the little one is a fighter.

Danifred said...

Thank you so much for your support on my blog and for your support here as well. It means so very much to me to feel all of this love from perfect strangers.
I will be praying for your nugget and sending every positive vibe I can your way.
Hugs to you and thank you a million times over!

Hillary said...

I am so sorry you are in such a difficult place. I said a prayer for you and your baby - grow, baby, grow!

lfca

Tireegal said...

Hi, Amanda, I'm visiting from LFCA. I am so sorry that your little nugget is wavering a bit and I really hope that you can get through this next two hard weeks. Your boys sound delightful medicine, but I hope that your little one will make your heart sing again in two weeks at the U/S. Take care ((HUGS))

Michele said...

From LFCA.... Praying...

manapan said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope Nugget has a major growth spurt soon. ((hugs))

a said...

You're in my prayers. I'm sorry you're going through this.