Or why-did-I-bother-to-schedule-an-ultrasound-for-Friday? Well, because the doctor wouldn't let me schedule it sooner. But now he may have to.
I started bleeding last night. I called the on-call doc. I went to the hospital (thank God they let me go to Labor & Delivery instead of torturing me with the worst ER in the world). They couldn't find a heartbeat with their crappy machine. I stopped bleeding. My cervix is still completely closed. Right now my technical diagnosis I believe is "threatened miscarriage". The doctor said he thinks it's a missed-miscarriage, though. (and you can actually switch the word miscarriage with abortion and that's how they worded it, but I can't do that.) I'm supposed to call my OB's office this morning to schedule an ultrasound so they can confirm there is no heartbeat and go from there.
This really sucks. And that's putting it mildly. But I'm stuck in some sort of clinical thinking stage of grief or something. I know when I really start feeling this it's going to bowl me over...I had a moment or two when the bleeding started yesterday that I really felt it...it wasn't pretty. And I don't know how to help Tim. Right now I keep saying horribly inappropriate things. Poorly thought out sarcastic comments about my dead baby. I know I've hurt his feelings already and have to think a little better about what I say.
His bosses want him to stay home to "be there" for me. He needs to work to keep himself occupied. He's super sensitive and is devastated, too. They don't seem to understand that. They all seem to think that he has to help me grieve, but doesn't need to grieve himself. Of course if I need him for an appointment, or for any other reason, he's less than 5 minutes away and can leave work immediately.
Well, right now my mind is a cluster-fuck of thoughts and emotions and I really don't know where I was going with this anymore. Thank you all so much for the love and support you've been giving me. It really has helped. Thank you. :)
It really sucks walking around and getting out of bed and doing other such mundane day to day things when you know you're doing it with a dead baby inside.
*update*
The nurse at my OB office was kind enough to schedule me for a followup ultrasound this morning at 11. Tim and I both know they won't find a heartbeat, but we can't move forward until it's been confirmed.
I honestly just want to schedule a D&C and to try and begin the healing process. I don't want a natural miscarriage. I've already been told if I think I pass the baby, to save the tissue and bring it in...that's just a terrible thought. The nurse said, "If you can save it, but you may pass it in the toilet". The thought of flushing my baby...she saw my reaction and reminded me that at this point it's just a mass of cells. I honestly appreciate her trying to make it easier for me, but no matter how logical I am about it the "mass of cells" had a heartbeat less than a week ago.
*second update*
They were easily able to confirm the lack of a heartbeat. My little Nugget did try, though. She'd grown a little before she couldn't do it any more. That made Tim and I both smile a little.
I go Thursday to talk with the doctor that does the D&Cs. They said something about preforming the procedure in the office?!?! Aren't these things done under general anesthesia??? They're freaking insane if they think there is enough local anesthesia in the world for me to have this done in office.
I'm really having a hard time grieving right now. Tim's trying to "be strong" for me. In turn I'm trying to be strong for him. Yeah, this is going to work. I'm lucky I have so much support from all of you online and from my friends and family IRL.
This sucks.
24 comments:
I am so sorry. I often get sarcastic when I am depressed or in an awful situation...its my way to cope--but it does hurt others (usually my husband). I am sorry you are dealing with more waiting for such an awful thing.
[Hugs]
I am so sorry. I have been where you are and know too well what you feel. Sending hugs......
I'm just so devastated for you and Tim. It is such a difficult situation to be in and I wish you much peace. I'm sorry.
I am so sorry. My heart hurts for you.
I hope you & Tim can both get the healing & support you need.
(((hugs)))
I'm so sorry
I'm so sorry for you and Tim. And the word "sorry" just doesn't even cover it.
Keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.
Love to you both!
xoxo
I am so sorry!! I have been through miscarriage twice but not exactly I'm the same way. If you need anything, please feel free to contact me!
My heart is breaking for you. I have fished a "mass of cells" out of a toilet myself, and I hope it is something you never have to think about. I almost asked why people think men don't mourn miscarriages, but I've known several men who fit that bill. Not my man, though. When I had a miscarriage, Jeff took it at least as hard as I did, and I unintentionally made him cry on more than one occasion with insensitive comments. It was awful. I hope you and your husband will be able to find your way through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
I'm so sorry. I'll be thinking about you guys.
:(.
I'm so sad for you both.
Crummy - no two ways about it. I'm so sorry and thinking of you.
Oh, honey.
About the D&C, yes, they can be done under a general, but I also know they can do them without a general, just with a local and perhaps some sort of "twilight" sedation. If they could do the twilight sedation, you would probably have a bit easier of a time with recovery and you wouldn't remember a thing, which would be nice, but if they are not offering any anesthesia in the office. . . yeah, that's not okay. I have had one with both a general and twilight sedation, and the general was tough to wake up from. I tend to get super nauseous from the general and felt very out of it for a good 12 hours. The twilight sedation felt more like I had taken a light nap and I had no nausea. If I had to choose, I would go with the twilight and just tell them to give you plenty so you don't hear or feel anything.
Okay, now that the medical stuff is out of the way, I just want to say again, how very sorry I am. Words seem inconsequential and I wish I could do more. You, your husband, the twins, and your little angel are in my thoughts and prayers. While I would never say that I know how you are feeling, and my current status might make you want to avoid me (completely understandable), I do want you to know that I am here for you if you need someone to talk to. I do "understand" if anyone can. My e-mail is on my profile or I'd be happy to give you my cell phone number so we can talk live (I can call you if long distance is an issue).
My heart is absolutely breaking for you. This is one of the worst things to have to go through and I know there aren't enough words in the world to make it better or less painful.
I've been there, friend. If you need anything at all - even if it's just someone to listen to the words you need to get out - please don't hesitate to let me know.
I am so, so sorry.
I am so, so sorry, Amanda. This just sucks for you and Tim and the boys. :(
As for the D&C, I seem to be a minority of one, but mine was done in an office (not my regular one -- I had to go to an affiliated one with a surgical procedures unit -- but it was in an OB office) and under a local with mild sedation. It was pretty awful, since I have clear memories of the whole thing. Honestly, I remember far more of it than seems even remotely good. The general or the twilight anesthesia Katie described sound like far better options if they're available.
I'm thinking of you.
I am so, so sorry for you. I don't know what to say other than I am thinking about you.
I am so sorry. Hugs.
Erica
I'm so sorry to hear how this has turned out, I wish that I could say something that is wise but I can't, I'm sorry. {{hugs}}
Words do not express how truly sorry I am for your loss.
I am so very very sorry Amanda. It's just so sad for your whole family,
xx
g
I am so sorry you are in this crappy crappy place. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts this week
Oh, honey, I'm so,so sorry.
My heart breaks for you.
Please know that as we walk this walk together, I am always open to an email to chat, to vent or to discuss.
HUGS!!!
You got it right...this does suck. It is downright heartbreaking. I'm so sorry.
My heart just hurts for you. I'm so very sorry.
Post a Comment