Wednesday, September 15, 2010

All is well

Well, for the most part all is well. We have a heartbeat!

Introducing "Thumper"

Blob being measured = Baby
Tim picked the nickname. He said as soon as the picture came up on the screen all he could see "was that heart thumping away".

My appointment today went really really well. I go back in 2 weeks for a re-check due to my anxiety then 3 weeks later for my 1st trimester screening. The doctor was very pleased with all the measurements and with how I looked.

For those of you that aren't on Twitter, yesterday was a crisis day for me emotionally. The anxiety has reached a level I can't deal with alone. Tim was (still is) my night in shining armor and got me an appointment with a doc and therapist on base. Unfortunately there wasn't much they could do to help, but they did make it plainly clear that I need help with the boys right now. I'm unable to to function without vomiting, I can't fix food, I can't stand any smells...I can't function. I'm not supposed to be using the term "can't" and am supposed to be saying, "it's hard to", but right now it's can't.  The anxiety isn't omg-is-my-baby-ok anxiety. It isn't omg-how-am-I-going-to-take-care-of-3-children anxiety. It's hormones-are-flooding-my-system-and-my-brain-isn't-coping-well-with-them anxiety.

So as of today I'm on Zoloft. I'm praying the medicine helps because I don't know what to do if it doesn't. For this week Tim is off work to take care of the boys and me. Next week my Mom is taking off work to come take care of the boys and me. The doctor and therapist were crystal clear about the need to get this anxiety under control before I end up hospitalized...so we're working on it. Seeing a heartbeat today did seem to help a tiny bit. It's completely gotten rid of the thoughts I'd been having of not wanting to see a heartbeat. Knowing that my OB is taking my anxiety seriously has helped a tiny bit, too. Knowing Tim is here to step up to the plate (and is completely rocking his temporary position as SAHD) has helped. Knowing my Mom (MOMMY!!!) is coming Sunday has helped, too.

Another help I've had?  The love and support I've received here and on Twitter. You guys are absolutely amazing!!! I honestly expected some back-lash on my last post and was so pleasantly surprised with the love and support I received instead.

I've also contacted the local support group for www.postpartum.net. I never knew before how common depression and anxiety are during pregnancy. I also never knew that the same people who give you support for PPD can help you through depression/anxiety during pregnancy.

I so badly want to love where I am right now. I want to be better. I want to be me again. I want to be the mother I know I am. I want to be the wife I know I am. I am getting help.

12 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Hooray, Thumper!

I'm glad you are being proactive about the anxiety. We are all here to listen whenever you need us.

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I am so grateful your doc is taking this seriously. You are awesome for recognizing and asking for the help you need. i wish I was closer so I could come giver you some weekend relief.

Just know you are in my thoughts and prayers continuously.

Keep on taking it one day, one hour, and one minute at a time.

xoxoxoxo to you my sweet friend!

Rotten said...

Great to hear things are moving along as they should. Now that the little one is doing OK, it's time to get mommy back to feeling OK. Hope the meds help and having some extra hands on deck allow you to take a deep breath and start to feel better. It still blows my mind what can happen to women when they are pregnant. It's like a cruel joke - "here's this beautiful gift now let me kick you in the ass with the side effects." Wishing you all the best.

Melis.sa said...

Woot for a healthy heartbeat!!

Take the help!!! Hopefully you can sneak some naps in there too :)

JJ said...

So glad to hear this! Its been a rough patch for you! Hope all is uphill from here!

andrea said...

first - YAY for heartbeats and baby!
second- YAY for a proactive doctor and good appoinment
third - YAY for tim and your mom.
fourth - payers continuing to come your way that things are getting better, little by little and the help keeps on coming.
**hugs**

Caro said...

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that the doctors are listening and helping.

Beautiful Mess said...

Hi Thumper!

I love that your voice is being heard! It's tough to take that first step sometimes, but you did it. Good work!

Sending you lots of prayers and love.
*HUGS*

Danifred said...

*waving like crazy*
Hi Thumper!

Hang in there Mama, you are loved and thought of often!

A New Beginning said...

I am so happy to see this post! So many good things in one.

Yeah for Thumper. Husbands and mommies (especially) can be a wonderful thing. I am glad you are getting help.

Cajun Cutie said...

Thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way. Hoping things get better soon.

Somewhat Ordinary said...

I has been a few days and I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you everyday!