Friday, July 4, 2008

Braces, PG, and Happy 4th of July!

Before:
03/21/2008



After:
06/17/2008



It's amazing how much my teeth have moved even since this last picture.  Unfortunately since my upper two front teeth aren't overlapping anymore, a cavity has been revealed.  Right on the side of my right front tooth.  Yuk!  I guess after the babies are born I'll have to make a trip to the orthodontist to get the upper wire taken off, rush to the dentist to get the cavity filled, then run back to the orthodontist to get the wire put back on.  This is the second cavity I've ever had.  :-(  Boo!  I didn't have to even get any numbing medication for the first cavity because they caught it so early.  I can see how this new one is eating into the tooth, though.  Oh well!

Although the nausea is only increased by the braces, the braces seem to be helped by my pregnancy and nausea.  They say that your gums are softer during pregnancy and that could explain why my teeth have moved so much since June 17.  I'm talking I've got visible space between some of my teeth!  This is a completely new phenomenon for me.  It's crazy!  And since I'm still so sick to my stomach and anything that gets caught in my braces makes me vomit, I'm eating only soft foods.  This means there is zero pain from my braces (or from my loose teeth...'cause boy are they loose).  See, there really is a bright side to almost everything.

As far as pregnancy goes, all seems well.  I'm still very sick to my stomach and have even missed a day of work due to the vomiting.  I'm still taking my Zofran religiously and adding the Phenergan when truly necessary.  Oooh!  Oooh!  And if anyone who has taken (or is taking) Zofran can tell me how much colace they needed to get things...um...working again, I'd greatly appreciate it.  ;-)

I've got my first true OB appointment on Monday at the wonderful MUSC.  I'm getting a little nervous, now.  I'm always afraid that I'm going to go in and they're going to give me bad news.  I'm really grateful that I only feel this way a couple of days before my appointments.  And I have a feeling that this will go away once I'm being seen regularly (or at least once I'm truly being monitored instead of just being moved around).  I asked if they were planning on doing an u/s and there's a big possibility, but no guarantee.  I plan on doing my damnedest to get one, though.  I'd like to know that the babies are growing OK even though I'm not eating very much.  I'd also like to be taken off of pelvic rest, if possible.  I'm sure I'll update Monday evening!


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

12 comments:

gracechild said...

Happy 4th of July girl. Enjoy & I'm looking forward to an U/S update soon

Farah said...

Look at those teef .. Lookin Good! Sorry about the cavity and nausea. I miss talkin with you - It's been a busy week! Hope you h ave a great 4th

Jen said...

Your teeth look great!

Technically, my dentist claims that you can get cavaties filled during pregnancy. (His own wife was pregnant when he told me this.) He says the only thing he really doesn't like to do is the X-rays, and even those are probably okay in small doses. He was telling me all of this because of that new study about preterm labor and dental health.

Good luck at your appointment! I'll be waiting for an update!

rebecca said...

i had to take colace pretty much everyday. the only foods i could stomach were bready foods like crackers and bagels, so that didn't help w/ the constipation. once i felt better and added fruits and salad...it helped a lot!

sara said...

Happy 4th of July and good luck on your appointment! I'm still on Zofran at almost 18 weeks - I'm hoping that you feel better soon. As far as the colace, I take it pretty much everyday and try to drink a lot of water and that helps me to keep things moving :-) Since I've been on bedrest things things have slowed down a little bit and my OB okayed me to take 2 colace a day to help the action going, LOL! Hope this info helps.

Newt said...

Congrats on the teeth! I'm glad pregnancy is good for something (besides makin' babies).

Lordy, the zofran is just powerful stuff. I didn't know it was possible to not poop for as long as I didn't poop when I was taking that stuff.

The only thing that worked (besides getting off of it), was a combination of prunes and oatmeal for breakfast, greasy foods (Burger King for me) for lunch or dinner, and then trying to take a walk. The Colace never really helped at all.

Tons and tons of luck. That particular side effect is pure misery.

Chas said...

Your teeth look great! I always wanted braces when I was younger.

babystep said...

Good luck with your appointment, I am sure everything will be great! Your teeth are going to be SO beautiful, but I am sorry about the cavity.

Denise said...

It took me awhile to find the right amount, but I take about 250mg a day. I have 100mg capsules of the colace. I take one in the morning and one with dinner. And my prescription prenatal has another 50mg of stool softener in it. I take the same amount each day religiously and it has done wonders for a couple of weeks now.

Io said...

Every time you mention braces, my teeth start hurting, remembering the pain.
Ug. I'm glad you are able to see the bright side at least! That would be awesome if being pregnant actually helped you get the braces off sooner!

Rebecca said...

I just stumbled upon your blog from Waiting Amy's blog and wanted to wish you the best with your twins...good luck and I hope you feel better really soon!

Round Up of The Year « Waiting no more said...

[...] July Before: [...]