Monday, March 31, 2008

Broken bones are a part of life

This is what all my brother has done to his skeleton.  This does not include anything that didn't break a bone...I don't have enough blog to cover all of his injuries.:

1989 - fell off of a 6' high wall


  • Two broken wrists



  • Fractured skull



1993 - was pushed down during a game of basketball


  • One broken wrist



2003 - jumped by someone (two separate times)


  • Broken Nose



  • Broken Jaw



2006 - Dirt bike accident (completely his fault)


  • Broken Knee



  • Broken Ankle



  • Numerous Broken bones in foot



  • Fractured Vertebrae



2008 - dirt bike accident (complete accident)


  • Broken tibia (lower leg)



  • Broken fibula (lower leg)



The doctor's said my 30 year old brother has the bones of a 60 year old man.  That combined with his love of anything with 2 wheels and his tendency towards not-so-reputable people is dangerous. 

He came out of the surgery quickly.  They found more soft tissue damage than they had originally thought they would, but after watching it closely all weekend, it looks like he'll get to go home today.  He's off the really heavy drugs already.  My brother has never been one to take pain medication, and this doesn't change that.  I'm sure he'll be on Tylenol within a week.

I think about all of the pain that my brother has been in, and is in...it makes me so sad.  I want to protect him, and have no way of doing so. 

I suppose this is a lesson that I need to learn, now.  When I have children I won't be able to protect them from making stupid mistakes.  I won't be able to protect them from bullies.  I won't be able to keep them from climbing walls.  And I'm sure seeing my own children suffer from the blows that life will inevitably deal will be even more painful.  We suffer to become parents and we suffer as parents.  This whole parent thing must really be something beautiful...

9 comments:

Jen said...

I'm glad he's doing well enough to go home today. I've been thinking about you!

Farah said...

I am glad your brother is already off the "hard drugs" I hope he heals weel and fast. ( and you are able to not worry about him so)

Io said...

Yikes. It hurt me to *read* all that. Tell your brother to stay off of tall walls!

geohde said...

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

Just ouch....

J

Maria said...

I hope your brother gets well soon!

The only bone I've broken was a toe and that hurt so I couldn't imagine doing worse.

christina(apronstrings) said...

holy cow! what a life. poor guy. sheesh. i hope he has better luck in the future.

sara said...

Hoping your brother is feeling better soon..ouch his history sounds like it hurts!

babystep said...

Your poor brudah! I didn't know you had a twin, how cool!

Freyja said...

I've never broken a bone. Not once, not ever. Weird, huh?

I know it was hard for my MIL and FIL to watch my husband have to get his foot amputated as a direct result of smoking when they BEGGED him repeatedly to not do it in the first place. It must be very hard to sit idly by and watch your child make bad decisions that have such a negative impact on them.

(For the record I was also begging him to stop for the year or so prior to the amputation. I can't tell you how many times I've thought that if I had just been more emphatic maybe the last 4 years could have been different...)