Friday, April 9, 2010

What IF?

If you haven't read about what Mel & Resolve are up to, well...why not?  Have some tissue handy if you're going to read through the comments.

My what IF?  What IF I spend my childrens' hard earned childhood miscarrying their siblings?

I didn't even realize until I typed it, but this is one of the main reasons I'm hesitant about TTC again.  I AM terrified of losing another pregnancy. Yes, I have had a successful pregnancy (immensely successful if I do say so myself). I have also had unsuccessful pregnancies. Three of them, by my count. 1st one, no clue what happened...2nd one, ruled ectopic but barely missed being ruled chemical...3rd, triploidy natural miscarriage.  4 pregnancies, 4 outcomes, 1 positive, 3 negative.  Luckily it looks worse on paper than it is in real life, because I think we can all admit that 1 positive outcome is amazingly positive and gets better each day.

But do I want to risk the emotional and physical trauma of more losses? The pain isn't overwhelming now, but each loss dredges up the old pain and compounds it. My boys are young right now, but as they get older they'll see what Tim and I are going through. Do I want to do that to them? Do I want to do it to me or Tim?

Of course this is only one of the reasons I don't want to TTC right now, but it's definitely the most emotional and physical reason. The other reasons are purely time and money.

So what's your What IF?

6 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Part of the reason I am afraid to start trying is because I am afraid to fail again.

Amanda said...

Glad I'm not alone in this fear. And the more I know...

Rebecca said...

What if I adopt a baby and it changes my whole family dynamic...for the worse?

Isn't that horrible? I guess we all have them...especially with huge decisions that we have no control over...argh!

Hang in there...it's all so hard!

Katie said...

Oh, honey.

How I hate this for you. I hate it.

My what if is "What if I fail in my promise to my lost babies?" I promised that their deaths would not be in vain and that I would use their memories to help others. Now that I am pregnant for the second time, I feel as if I have lost my legitimacy. What if I can't live up to their legacy?

Rotten said...

OMG, I am SOOOOOO right there with ya on this one!!

Suzy said...

What if indeed. So sorry you have to worry about this.