Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wherein Amanda learns a valuable lesson

I was slowly crossing the parking lot; quite cautiously heading towards my car.  Suddenly one of my feet went the wrong direction.  Before I knew it my left knee was hitting the ground followed by my ever increasing ass.  My purse dropped into a puddle, where it remained for a few minutes.  I heard a crowd of people ask, "Are you OK?" and "Is she OK?"  I rolled over and sat on a curb until I could assess any damage.  Sore knee?  Check.  Sore ass?  Check, but not too bad.  Any other injuries?  Check, but only some muscle tightness up my right side and in my back.

I managed to crawl into a standing position and grabbed my now drenched purse from the puddle.  I told the onlooking crowd of about eight people that I was fine.  Then I limped away to my car.

What was the lesson I learned?  Well, there were two.  The lesson about human kind I learned is that when you look like you're almost full term with a baby you get a much larger reaction from the crowd if you fall.  I can assure you that this was not the first time I've fallen in public, but it is the first time I've had more than one person ask me if I was OK (it was also the first time I didn't hear anyone laugh).  The other lesson I learned, DO NOT WEAR FLIP-FLOPS OF ANY KIND IN THE DAMN RAIN!

4 comments:

Farah said...

OMG I am glad that you are ok. I am sorry about the sore body parts

Jen said...

Yikes! Everyone falls at some point. I stopped my car a couple months ago to help a woman who had fallen on the street. I was really impressed because every single person who was around stopped to help.

Io said...

Uf. I'm glad you're ok. I am the queen of falling flat on my face. I hate when you do it and everyone doesn't know what to say after it's been determined that you're ok.

Denise said...

Ooooh, I hope you aren't too beat up from the fall. I hate that!