Sunday, September 7, 2008

I...We....I like...but...they said...

So I'm working on my register and I have no clue what to really put on it.  Some things I've pushed to Mr. W for him to figure out (i.e. research).  Others I'm trying to work on.  But there are so many conflicting reviews on just about everything. 

My main issue right now is bottles.  I plan on breastfeeding and pumping (don't I have lofty dreams).  Of course I'm aware that there's a possibility of formula feeding, and I'm fine with that.  But what in the world do I put the milk in?????  If any one has any suggestions I am soooo open right now.  What has worked for you?  What have you heard works?  What did you read about that worked?  And why or why not?

Thank you in advance!!!!  :-)

12 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, I can't help you, but I'll read all the suggestions and steal them!

Denise said...

Uggh, I know the registry thing is SO confusing! There are so many products and you never know what you really need. I've heard with bottles to not get too much to start with because every baby is different and you won't know what your baby likes until you try. Sounds like it's more of a trial and error process.

I got the EZ-2-Nurse Twin pillow from Double Blessings. I've heard good things about it and it is really the only thing I've seen out there for nursing two at once.

Farah said...

Medela is bpa free on all of their products.

Check out these and see what you think - This is what i put my milk in.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2908605

We use the born free bottles when feeding.

There are also bags, but I am unsure if they are bpa free- but Iuse them also for freezing

Farah said...

Oh as for formula mixed in a BPA free container - Look at this http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm sold in different sizes at dick;s sporting goods ( yes i have one)

also all brita pitchers are bpa free

Sugar & Ice said...

Sometimes the baby will let you know which bottles he/she likes and which ones aren't the favorite. For instance, I registered for Avent bottles before I had Lila. I was planning on breastfeeding, but we had some problems in the beginning, so we supplemented a little for the first few days (my milk didn't come in for a week!). She hated Avent bottles...I can't say for sure why, but the nipples seemed to big to me...and they also seem too hard. So, we switched to Dr. Brown's bottles, which have a smaller nipple and are supposed to be the best for avoiding colic. They worked awesome, and she loved them. I'd breastfeed all day, then in the middle of the night I'd pump and feed her a bottle...this worked. Then we stopped using bottles altogether for a couple of months, and when I tried again she didn't like Dr. Brown's either. ...she'd only take Playtex Nursers b/c they were more like a real nipple. Anyway...we ended up with a ton of bottles.

If you're concerned about BPA, Dr. Brown's, Playtex Nursers, Born Free, Medela, and many more now all make BPA free bottles. .. and the drop ins for te Playtex Nursers are BPA free as well. My personal recommendation, based on what seemed best for a nursing baby and what seemed best for relieving gas...Playtex Nursers with drop ins...makes things SO easy!

Tracy said...

We didn't register for anything related to BFing or feeding because we wanted to see how it all shook out. We did get an EZ-2 nursing pillow from a friend who had twins a couple years ago, and bought some Dr. Brown's BPA free bottles (recommended by many, many friends with babies), but other than that we're going to stock up at the hospital (they have a lactation clinic.)

We plan to use the bags to store pumped milk. That seems to be the easiest from what I hear.

Check out this site...I think you'll like it.
http://howdoyoudoit.wordpress.com/
Lots of info on all things twin...including BFing.

Io said...

Yeah. I'm late on this one, but good luck figuring out what to register for. Don't bother with too many clothes - people will give you a lot of those.

Courtney said...

I have the bags for freezing pumped milk, but I have yet to use them. If you pump and refrigerate for use sooner than freezing, there are storage bottles you can get that work with the pump you are using. I actually ended up with about 6 small storage bottles from the hospital, so you might acquire some that way as well.

Nancy said...

I researched and bought all the best bottles for when I fed my girls their first bottle of breastmilk (breastfed only for first year, but got them both started taking bottles of breastmilk by 6-7 weeks old, so I could actually go and do something ~alone~ for the first year)

And guess what? They both took different bottles. And not the fancy dancy ones I got. It took a lot of trouble to find the right bottle.

So my advice in the beginning? But one of 1-3 different types and be ready to go to the store to buy more when they take one. Only take one at a time out of the package, so you can return the unused ones. :)

sara said...

I liked reading everyone's suggestions as well. I would love to breastfeed and pump also - we'll see how it all works out. I'm okay if I have to go the formula route too. I plan on getting a Medela pump and we have some playtex drop in nursers for putting the breastmilk in to feed. I also have the bags to freeze the milk in (I think they're medela or lasinoh?) and some medela pump and save/freezer ready containers - they came 12 in a pack. But I've heard the same as everyone else - I'm sure I'll have to wait and see what nipples and bottles she likes. But as far as the pumping and storing I'm hoping what I have works okay.

Katie said...

I also use Medela. I think you should pick your pump first and then get accessories and storage from there. If you are planning to rent a pump, then the place you rent from should be able to sell these things to you. I would recommend that you set up the rental of your pump prior to delivery, as I have known several friends who have had to wait weeks to get theirs.

Amanda said...

Here's what I ended up loving: http://www.handi-craft.com/bottles/Products.shtm