Friday, June 6, 2008

Hurry up and Wait

This should be the official motto of the US military.  Hurry up and Wait.  It also applies to their brand of healthcare. 

Here's the background:  I am married to the military.  My husband is active duty in the USAF.  I had Tricare Standard (pretty much a PPO) up until a couple of weeks ago.  When the hyperemesis kicked in and I was told that I couldn't get the home health care that was requested for me, I switched to Tricare Prime (pretty much an HMO) in the hopes that I could get it through the hospital.  I knew that at some point I was going to switch to Prime anyway, since there's no co-pay or co-insurance with Prime.  Well, they told me they'd get me a referral out ASAP, but I had to give a urine sample to prove that I was pregnant.  So I rushed to give them a urine sample (someone please tell me why a complete copy of my OB records with multiple ultrasounds wasn't sufficient).  Now on to the current part of the story...

I received a call from the Naval Hopsital.  Huh?  Why the Naval Hospital?  What are theycalling me for?!?!  I was supposed to get referred out to MUSC...the goodplace to have my babies.  For the record, I'm sure the Naval Hospital rocked in it's day, but it's day has long since passed.  Now it's a military medical facility way past it's prime and I personally have a negative desire to be treated there, much less give birth there.

So I called them back.  Their first quetion, "Are you pregnant?"  Ummmm...didn't I produce a sample to prove this (again, you also got a copy of all of my records from my OB).  Of course I answered in the affirmative.  Then they told me I had to come in for a three hour OB orientation class and this class is only held on Friday mornings.  I can't miss work until next Friday, so I signed up for that class.  They then informed me that after the class I can go back up to the clinic to schedule an appointment for an ultrasound to determine how far along I am.  Um....again...OB records, 5 ultrasounds...and of this ringing a bell to anyone but me?

Well, I'm going to the stupid class.  I'm going to schedule my ultrasound (come on, I'm pissed, but I'm not turning down a chance to see that these two are still alive and kicking!).  And I'm going to present them with a copy of my OB record and copies of my ultrasounds.  I plan on doing my best to get referred out of that hell hole and to a decent hospital.

The two horror stories I've heard from the small group of my husband's co-workers who delivered at the Naval Hospital:

  1. Wife #1 had a scheduled C-Section.  The doctor nicked her bowels during the surgery and stitched her up without a word.  Much illness followed.

  2. Wife #2 had a vaginal delivery.  The doctor stitched her up incorrectly after her episiotomy.  It caused future issues.


I have no intentions of being seen there for the prenatal care of these kids.  I can only imagine the care of their neo-natal unit...if they even freaking have one. 

Oh yeah, and in all of the records that the military has already formed on me, nowhere does it mention that this is a twin pregnancy.  I HAVE TOLD EVERYONE THAT I HAVE DEALT WITH OR SPOKEN WITH THAT I AM CURRENTLY GESTATING TWO BABIES AND HAVE RECORDS AND ULTRASOUNDS TO PROVE IT!  But who listens to what I have to say.  Whatever.

Oh yeah, I got so far into my rant that I forgot about the whole title of the post.  The reason I'm saying hurry up and wait is because I can't even take the OB orientation class until next Friday when I will be 11w4d.  Which means that I won't get an ultrasound until I'm already in my second trimester (that begins at 12 weeks, right?).  And they don't set up your initial OB appointment until after the ultrasound.  (and for some reason I don't think they'll believe me about the whole twin thing until they see it for themselves.)  I haven't had any blood work done.  As far as I know, nothing has been done as far as OB goes except for a bunch of ultrasounds to determine that this wasn't ectopic and that I had a puddle of blood above my cervix.  I WANT SPECIAL TREATMENT DAMNIT!  But anyway.  I'll quit being a spoiled brat and sit back and wait my turn.  And I really need to let go of all of this (unless anyone knows of a way to change anything). 

On a completely different note (still PG related), the morning sickness is still with me 90% + of the day, but it's all bearable.  As long as I dont' have to look at or smell any form of poultry.  I can't even clean my kitchen because there's leftover chicken from Smokey Bones in the fridge and it turns my stomach to walk in there.  Hahahaha!!!!

10 comments:

Farah said...

2 trimester - legistics state that it begins the 13th week - but can declare it when you (or your dr) say it is - because there are a few different schools of thought on weeks/and when each begin/end.

I used http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/duedate/setdate.php Because my dr's agreed with that timeline.

I am sorry for hte hurry up and wait - its one of those frustratingly annoying occurrances that welcome you to pregnancy- thinking of you

K @ ourboxofrain said...

The hurry up and wait thing really sucks. I'm really surprised that with a twin pregnancy they aren't doing a better job of keeping on top of things -- even if they haven't seen that it's twins with their own eyes. And I don't think demanding good care makes you seem like a spoiled brat at all -- just a pregnant lady expecting the care she deserves. Are they at least getting you the home health care that you switched for? Thinking of you!

Jennifer said...

Jeez. And we wonder why health care costs so much with lower effectiveness in the U.S. compared to other countries...

Chas said...

The military has a lot of perks, but I've never felt like their medical coverage was very easy. My brother and sister in law have Tricare (I'm not sure which type), and they seem so limited in their choices of where they can get treatment.

Anyway, you need to demand that you get some more attention. That is pretty ridiculous.

Newt said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry you're having a health care nightmare. I wonder what they teach you at a three-hour OB orientation! How to put your feet in the stirrups correctly? Are they serious? I want a full report!

I hear you on the morning sickness. I can't open our fridge either, because there are some leftover quesadillas in there. Uck.

InDueTime said...

Insurance companies suck ass.

((Hugs))

twinboysmom said...

Get out as fast as you can and go to a civilian doctor. I never saw the same doc twice and they don't care if you're having twins or not. The best was that I always got an u/s everytime I went in. Most doc did'nt know I was having twins because they never read my chart. My hospital was one of the best military facilites too! I must say we had an awesome NICU though. Your best hope out is to request a facility with a NICU. If you have an uncomplicated pregnancy though or go past 34-35 weeks, you could be transfered back if you are Prime. Once you're uncomplicated, they won't pay for a PE or civilian hospital. My next pregnancy, I'm switching to Standard!

Nancy said...

Oh My Freaking God. What a serious pain the ass for you. I'm so sorry you have to go through this!!!

sara said...

Wow, you have me furious just reading your post. I can't imagine how you must feel! I am so sorry that you have to deal with such a messed up process. If you told them you had something like cramping or something else, would they speed up your ultrasound and first OB visit? I know that's not really playing fair, but you are right. You are a twin pregnancy that was not easily conceived and you do deserve some special treatment. I work in the medical field and I think you deserve it for sure! Once again, I am so sorry that you have to deal with this crap. I hope somehow the fit you in earlier or you get some nice unexpected news to make it a little more tolerable. Hugs!

Io said...

Good grief - this sounds like madness. Good luck getting this all sorted out.