Thursday, August 5, 2010

I will survive or Monkey Butt!

I had two titles for this post, so you can choose which one you like. (I kind of like Monkey Butt!)

Last summer I brought my almost-teenaged nephew to stay with us for a week. It worked out so well we decided to try it again. This summer he's 12 years old with little to no home training...can you say attitude?  But it's going pretty well as long as no one else is around (other family or neighborhood kids). I think he likes to give a little 'tude when others are around to show off for. You think he'd learn that I'm always going to put him in his place, friends or no friends standing there.

Well, yesterday I had the grand idea of taking him, my 9 year old nephew, and the boys to the zoo 1 1/2 hours away. Why yes, I am a little crazy. Why do you ask?

The trip actually went pretty well. No one asked me "are we there yet" until we were only 20 minutes away. The big boys had a really good time, even though they didn't get to see everything. We ate at the zoo (ewe!!! disgusting overpriced cafeteria food) and even did a little souvenir shopping. Even in the 95 degree weather it wasn't too bad. The zoo has sooo much shade! There's even a carousel and playground (which we didn't make it to). The big kids are already planning their trip for next year!

And you can't go to the zoo without taking at least a few pictures, so here you go:

There's so much to see!
They spent almost an hour in the aquarium/reptile house!!!
Who doesn't like pink flamingos? Think they'd let me take one to put in my yard?
This is NOT a zoomed photo. The thing almost hit one of my nephews in the head. Ha!
All my boys!
Monkey butt! Well, gorilla but to be exact. :-)

7 comments:

Jen said...

I love the zoo. We went to two different ones while I was still on maternity leave :)

The monkey butt is awesome!

Jo said...

The zoo is so much fun with little ones. My niece is in love with the rhino, and will spend hours just staring at it if we'd let her.

Glad you survived, and the monkey butt totally cracks me up.

Hugs,
Jo

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun. And you are one brave lady!

Love the monkey but!!!!!

kimbosue said...

HAHHA! Monkey butt! see there's your monkey of the day (see my Show and Tell postfrom last week!)

seussgirl said...

Hee hee, I was totally expecting a Gilmore Girls reference there, but then I finally remembered that would be "monkey, monkey, underpants." Still fitting, I suppose. :)

JJ said...

You are a crazy lady--but in all the right ways ;) Love that last picture--priceless!

sara said...

You are a brave woman! I love the flamingo picture. I think we should all be allowed to have one in our yards - don't you think?