After making the world's worst meatloaf last night, I'm on my knees. I'm begging anyone and everyone to please share your best meatloaf recipe with me. I've tried quite a few and just can't find the "one" (last nights version being the worst so far). Please please please share with me!
I'd also love your best chocolate chip cookie recipe. Jen gave me the craving. :-)
Thank you in advance (special thanks from Mr. W).
15 comments:
Wellllll, j will absolutely never-in-a-million-years-even-if-his-life-depended-on-it eat meatlof because his mother ruined it for him while he was growing up. He reports that it was so bad that he would just swallow it and not chew it. So I've not had the occasion to make it in the last 4 years. :) If you need a mac and cheese recipe though, I'm your girl.
And we just use the chocolate chip recipe on the back of the semi-sweet Toll House bag. Well technically, j uses it - his cookies are way better than mine. (As I prepare to much on csome chocolate chunk cookies he made me this weekend! :o)
Yes, meatloaf! We had meatloaf last night and it was delicious. I got my recipe from Mandajuice (love these blog people) and tweaked it just a little. I posted it as a meatballs recipe, but the ingredients are the same.
http://jenniferelaineg.blogspot.com/2008/05/spaghetti-and-meatballs.html
And the original at Mandajuice:
http://mandajuice.typepad.com/mandajuice/2008/02/magic-meatloaf.html
My chocolate chip cookies are from the Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cookbook. I use half the chocolate though, since I don't like tons of chocolate in my cookies. And I use milk chocolate instead of semi sweet.
I was in the gorcery store today eye-ing hte meatloaf meat. I hated meatloaf as a child but think I am willing to cook my own. I am stealing these recipes
My mum made meatloaf when we were kids ... she would put layers of cheese in between it YUM.
__
2 MONTHS ALREADY!!! OMG ..... they are just so beautiful. Divine.
XOX
psst... I gave you an award over on my blog. :o)
Here from L&FCA: I use this recipe:
http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/classic_meatloaf.aspx
the tricks are: 1) use meatloaf mix (ground beef, pork, and veal), and 2) don't over-mix. It gets tough. (Putting bacon on top doesn't hurt either!)
Best chocolate chip cookies:
http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Rocky%20mountain-chip%20cookies
Good luck making any once you have the dough made!
My mother in law made meatloaf with one of those "bag-n-seasoning" things. It was wonderful and it's how I make my meatloaf now. The bag keeps the meat totally juicy too. The difference I make is I don't put the whole seasoning bag in the meat, it's a little too much for me. And I do cover open the bag, cover it with ketchup in the last 5 minutes.
mmmmm...meatloaf!
1 lb ground beef
1 can diced tomatos
some diced onion
2 eggs
wheat bread
LOTS of cumin (no, more than that)
basil, oregano, garlic salt
spice bowl with above spices (be generous, especially with the cumin), add meat and other ingredients except bread. Start mushing stuff together as a helper tears up wheat bread into small bits and tosses them into the bowl. I find I usually need something like 5-7 large slices.
cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes
Take out, and apply a glaze of:
1 small can tomato sauce
2-4 tbsps of brown sugar (however you like it; my husband's a fan of sweet)
Cook for an additional 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Enjoy.
I never like meatloaf until I found this recipe. One day my then boyfriend was "I want to make meatloaf" and I was all "ew!" But he did, and OMG this is so good. The husbandman's meatloaf has become one of my special occasion/comfort meals.
Coming from LAFCA . Funny, cuz I am making meatloaf tonight. Okay, this is simple, but seems to get me compliments all the time:
1 lbs of ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 egg
1 cup of oatmeal
1 cup of chopped onion
pepper to taste
Mix it up (using my hands, usually the easiest--and most fun!)
Put it in loaf pan, cook at 375 for about 1 hour.
I hated meatloaf growing up. My mother's was bland and basically just ground beef with onions and ketchup.
So I saught to make my own recipe that would satisfy both me and DH. It's from a church cookbook (those recipes are usually the best.) It's called Make Your Own Meat Loaf. The only problem that I've encountered is that I don't measure my ingredients so it tastes a little different each time, which drives DH nuts. But I don't mind.
Make Your Own Meat Loaf
1 lb hamburger
1 egg
5 saltines, crushed finely
Heinz 57, ketchup, shedded cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoning salt, pepper and Worchestershire sause, to taste.
You want a mixture that is slightly moist, but not runny. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes in bread pan. For a double batch, a buntd pan works well.
Good luck!
Here from the Lost and Found --
This is less traditional, but low-fat and good:
Turkey Mini-Meatloaves
1 lb. ground turkey
1 medium zucchini
1 white onion
1 red bell pepper
1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
1 egg
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 tsp. Ground Pepper
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
In a food processor puree zucchini, onion, and red bell pepper until soupy. Add couscous, egg, Worcestshire, mustard, and pepper and mix throughly. Mix in ground turkey by hand. Using an ice cream scoop, fill muffin tins 3/4 full with meatloaf mixture. Top with BBQ sauce. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. 1 serving is 2 mini-meatloaves. A great way to get your family to eat their veggies!
This is a more traditional version:
Sherri’s Meatloaf
1 ½ lb. Ground beef
¾ lb Ground pork
1 egg
20 saltine crackers
1 tsp. onion powder
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. steak sauce
Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and mush together with hands. Put in a loaf pan and pat down. Bake for 45 minutes or until loaf pulls away from the sides of the pan. Great with gravy or for sandwiches with ketchup!
Enjoy!
Here from LFCA
Meatloaf in our house is simple:
1lb lean ground beef
~1/2 c (or less) bread crumbs or crushed crackers
Pepper (1/2 tsp or freshly ground until you feel like stopping)
Garlic powder (just a sprinkle)
1 egg
Catsup (1/4 to 1/2 c - as much as think)
Mix together - should be a fairly moist lump of meat (mmm...sounds appetizing already!). Form into a football shape and place in a shallow pan (I don't use loaf pans, because they let the grease stay in the meat). Bake for about an hour.
Hope you find something you like!
You are getting quite the response on the meatloaf question! I'm throwing mine in there because I love it and am actually making it this week!
I got it from the "Friends" (yes, the tv show) cookbook. (They have a killer oatmeal raisin cookie recipe there too... remember the ep where Monica is trying to guess the ingredients by eating the last cookie in order to duplicate the recipe? That one - and it is amazing!)
2 lbs ground chuck
1 medium onion, minced
1 Tbs. worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 eggs
2 slices white bread, crusts removed
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup ketchup (separate from other 1/4 cup)
2 tsp. spicey brown mustard
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375. Mix the ground chuck, onion, worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup ketchup, salt, pepper and eggs in a large bowl. Soak the bread in a small bowl of milk for several minutes. Crumble the slices of bread and work them into the meat mixture.
2. Shape the mixture into a rough loaf shape and place it on a large baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
3. While the meatloaf is in the oven, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. Brush the glaze over the meatloaf and continue cooking until the juices run clear when the meatloaf is skewered, about 15 minutes or more.
Delish!!!
Here from LFCA.
This may sound odd, but I grew up with the recipe that's on a box of Lipton onion soup mix, and I love it. The only thing I add is that we put extra ketchup on the top as it's cooking. Simple, but it's what I've always known.
Here from LFCA. I have a cheeseburger meatloaf recipe that is to die for.
Here it is:
1/2 cup ketchup divided
1 egg
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tsp onion powder (you could probably use onions instead here if you'd rather)
1 pound lean ground beef
2 tsps prepared mustard
2 tsps dill pickle relish
6 slices processed american cheese
In bowl, combine 1/4 c. ketchup, egg, bread crumbs and onion powder. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. On a large piece of waxed paper, pat beef mixture into a 10-in x 6-in. rectangle. Spread remaining ketchup over meat to within 1/2 in of long sides and 1-1/2 in of short sides. Top with mustard and relish. Place four cheese slices on top; set remaining cheese aside. Roll up loaf, jelly roll style, starting with a short side and pulling away waxed paper while rolling. Seal seams and ends well. Place loaf seam side down in a greased baking pan (I use a loaf pan). Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160. Cut the reserved cheese slices in half diagonally; place on top of loaf. Return to the oven for 5 miunutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing, slice and serve.
Post a Comment