Saturday, August 9, 2008

What's for dinner?

NOTHING!  EVER AGAIN!

Not really, but wow.  I cleaned out my fridge like I'd wanted to for months.  All I'm left with are a few potatoes, some sliced cheese, and condiments.  I'm not kidding.  I even had to throw away unopened items because they'd expired sometime last month (or earlier).  Mr. W's going to scrub it all down now that I've throw everything out.  I knew it had been a while since we'd really bought groceries and since I'd really cooked a meal, but this is crazy!  I haven't really cooked a meal since the end of April.  :-o

Speaking of cleaning, Mr. W emptied all of the cabinets in the kitchen so he could paint the insides.  It's something we've needed to do since moving in (we painted the outsides a long time ago), but just never got around to.  Now we've been cleaning everything before putting it back in...talk about fun.  I just finished going through (and wiping down) all of my spices.  Holy cow I've got a ton of spices!  I need to figure out a way to catalog them so I know what I have.  I found three opened bottles of rosemary.  THREE BOTTLES!  There were quite a few other spices that I had two bottles of, most of them both opened already.  I think I'll try to do a spreadsheet so I can just check my sheet to see if I have a spice before emptying the whole cabinet or running to the store to buy another bottle.  I mean, who out there knows if they have a bottle of tarragon or coriander seeds or fennel off of the top of their head?

Speaking of my spices, I opened quite a few bottles just to smell them.  Although one or two turned my stomach, the rest just made me realize how much I miss cooking.  I love to cook!  I may not be the best cook, but it's something I truly enjoy.  I'm pretty much a recipe person so I'm not very inventive, but I'll try just about anything.  I love all of the different spices and oils and such.  (Mr. W also teases me about the various oils, vinegars, and cooking wines that I have.)  I already have a couple of meals in mind for the moment my stomach decides to behave (which I've accepted should be some time around birth).

Oh yay!  My stomach will definitely be better in time to make a nice chuck roast in the crock pot!  Mmmmmmm....add a little Marsala...yummy!

6 comments:

Angela said...

You're painting the insides of your cabinets?!? I painted the outside and the edge of the shelves and that was it lol

sara said...

We cleaned out the inside of our refrigerator this weekend as well. I found some jello cups (the premade refrigerated snack type) that had an expiration date from last year! I know I've cleaned since then, so how they got to the back of there is beyone me, LOL! I know what you mean about wanting to cook. I'm pretty much a follow the recipe type of cook, but I still enjoy it. I hope you get to make something yummy soon :-)

Sugar & Ice said...

Maybe it's a pregnancy thing, b/c I just cleaned out my fridge for the first time in ages. I can't tell you how many expired containers of yogurt I cleaned out. I bought it thinking it'd be a good snack for me, and then...blah, just didn't want it.

Io said...

Three containers of rosemary? Hot damn girl. That's hilarious. I don't even know how that would happen. I mean, I can see two, but three? Hee! You poor thing - I can't wait until you can eat again! (And of course, have a couple of those kid things.)

Jen said...

Our fridge is that empty too, now that I've just been shopping for basics. It is kind of ridiculous.

Denise said...

We have the same problem for spices. Usually we'll be in the store wondering if we have this or that at home, so end up buying a new one just in case. Then they somehow all end up open at the same time.