Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What you lookin' at?

Our peds office has been closed for 5 days. Really people? I know you're a military clinic and all, but come on!  I really want to talk to you!!!  (yes, if it were a seriously urgent matter, there is someone on call.)

There's been a development in our household, or should I say in Jack.  His left eye seems to be a little...um...off.  Let me show you.


Do you see it? How his left eye seems to be a little off center...or something*?  I'm calling his peds office as I'm typing this (started this Tuesday and finishing it Wednesday morning). 

You see, there's a family history of having a lazy eye. Let me show you.
You can click on the picture to make it larger, and unfortunately Grandad must have not used his drops that day because his eye isn't even open. Let's just say it doesn't point in any useful direction. (and OMG check out Trip's chunky things!!!! He was such a chunk for such a short period!)

Oh yeah, and I was informed yesterday by our nutritionist that Trip is considered at risk due to being underweight because his height/weight ratio is less than 20%. Seriously? It's called genetics, people! My brother is scrawny and my sister was until her thyroid decided to crap out.  And let's not forget one of Tim's brother is also scrawny. Plus, if I wasn't feeding my kids, don't you think they'd both be skinny? Get a grip, people.

Aaannnndddd we have an appointment for tomorrow at 11:10 am. Have I mentioned how tight our schedule is? And that lunch is precisely at noon with nap precisely at 12:30 or else all hell breaks loose and naps may or may not be had. I'm crossing my fingers and toes that they get us in and out with a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist (hoping they just refer us to the children's hospital).

*I'm aware I may be overreacting, but this is my son and anything I can do to prevent him being teased in school...you get it, right?

7 comments:

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

I don't think you're overreacting at all! Just being a cautions, good mom! Hope it's nothing serious and the boys schedule doesn't get out of sorts.

And poo on the nutritionist about Trip. The boy has scrawny genes!

JJ said...

Never hurts to ask! Glad you are able to go--and hopefully the appt is kept at a good amount of time so you can keep the boys on schedule. Hoping all is OK! He's still so stinkin cute :) Love those bright blues!

A New Beginning said...

It never hurts to ask!!! We have been through this too. At one year, a doctor told us it was nothing. Now at almost two years, a different eye doctor tells us her eyes could be crossing and he wants to see her back. And just like you, I will do ANYTHING to make sure my little girl is not laughed at by her peers.

Anonymous said...

I hope you get a fast, easy resolution for Jack's eye. I don't think a mom will ever feel very much regret over being cautious about something like this, but you'd have a hard time forgiving yourself if you weren't cautious and later found out there was something you could've done.

Rebecca said...

I would totally get it looked at. Cousin's son had that and it can be fixed if you catch it early. Her son is wearing glasses now and it seems to be helping...plus, he looks damn cute.

You're right...Trip is my Hailey and vice versa. I have no idea how much she weighs, but she is a string bean!

Denise said...

Totally not overreacting. Seems like it is usually easier to treat most issues the earlier you catch them. I wouldn't worry about the 20% ratio AT ALL. Ours are WAY skinnier than that (not a good thing), but the pediatrician wasn't worried at all until recently.

Rotten said...

My SIL has the same thing. It's funny because we always know when she has had a few too many drinks because that is when it is the most obvious. :)