Saturday, October 18, 2008

Visitors...yay.

My MIL and her Mom are in town.  Don't get me wrong, I very much like my mother-in-law, but...  Of course there's a but in there.

Last night we all ended staying up until 1:00 am.  I was already exhausted and had been trying to go to bed for a couple of hours, but didn't want to be rude when she was still telling me stories.   Then I wake up this morning a little before 6:00 and can't get back to sleep because I keep hearing water.  A toilet flushes.  Water runs somewhere.  A toilet flushes again.  Water runs somewhere else.  My first thought was "We're not eating Sonic's again for a while!"  Then my stomach started to rumble so I decided to venture to the kitchen for a quick snack, then back to bed.

Guess what I found downstairs.  If you guessed my MIL cleaning the bathrooms, you're right.  She'd been up for almost an hour already.  While I greatly appreciate the cleaning help, I am a very light sleeper and the cleaning could have waited until a more decent hour.

At least she waited until 8 to start cooking breakfast (which I'd mentioned making the night before...but again...the help is appreciated).

Can I just tell you all how happy I am to not have caffeinated coffee in my house?  Could you imagine this woman hyped up?  (As I type all of this Mr. W is installing baseboard in the kitchen...see where he gets his work ethic and energy level?)

Oh yeah, remember my whiny post about my MIL coming when the boys are born?  Well, Mr. W's apparent way of handling this was by mentioning in passing to his mother this morning that my Mom is coming for a week when the boys are born.  Um...I don't think she'll even think about that when she's ready to visit.  I've never had anyone in his family actually ask if there was any reason they couldn't stay with us.  They usually just give us 24 or less hours worth of notice that they're on their way.  Ugh.

Just in my MIL's defense, although I'm bitching right now I'm happy to see her and even happier that her Mom was able to come.  Mr. W's Mammaw has never seen our house.  He is flat ecstatic to have her here and that makes me very happy.

Now if only I can figure out how to get my house quiet enough for me to get a nap.  My baby shower is at 2 and I'm mean without sleep.

[polldaddy poll=1013625]

11 comments:

Nancy said...

We have a ~very~ STRICT rule about no visitors for the first 2 weeks of our baby's lives. Sure, someone cooking/cleaning would help, but it's our time to get to know our new family member. AND - the first week to two weeks is the "baby honeymoon" where the babies sleep most of the time. Of all the times with a newborn (or two), the first week is the easiest. I wouldn't give that alone time up for anything. I highly suggest talking with your hubby to move the visit back a week. PLUS - with being a new mommy, we are filled with self doubt but we muddle through and become comfortable. There is no way you would want someone else, especially your mother in law, to be there day and night during your special time where you will feel uneasy about what you do. Even my own mother would have ruined things for me.

Sugar & Ice said...

My mother in law would drive me crazy if we had to stay in the same house. I simply couldn't handle it...I love her, but I can't live with her.

Tracy said...

I agree with Nancy...though I would extend it to ONE MONTH with twins. My MIL came when the twins were two weeks old, and it was still too early. You really need the time to get settled into a routine. If you aren't planning to breastfeed, it may not be as crucial, but we were still learning when I started having company. And yes, no matter if they are family or not, it is still company and more stress than you need!

Jen said...

I've put out an ultimatum of no visitors in the house until Christmas (since I am due the end of November). I wouldn't mind my mom coming because I can tell her to go away and mind her own business, but my mother-in-law would kill me.

Farah said...

i voted shoooooooooooot me!

topcat said...

Oh my God. Please, please try to get her to stay away for the first few weeks. I'm not partial to my MIL or my own mother, so a firm "We are ok for now" was needed.

Your belly pics below are BEAUTIFUL!!! (So is your hair!) XOXOX

apronstrings(christina) said...

holy cow, i would be insane. and i mean insane.poor girl. i hope it went ok.

sara said...

I love your poll - that is awesome!!! I think the first one applies to me. I think you handled things better than I would had being woken up to cleaning going on. It's a hard one because like you said it's nice to have help, but sleep is nice too, LOL! Hope you're doing well and that you had a great shower. Can't wait to hear all about it.

sara said...

Your photos are beautiful by the way!!

Io said...

Ug. I can totally see how annoying that must be...but you could also totally send her my way!

Angie Best-Boss said...

it's the cleaning thing that irritates me- I get the idea is that she;s trying to be helpful, but I just can't get over the implied criticism, but it sounds like you are much nicer than I am :)

btw - gorgeous pics!