At what point in a twin pregnancy do most people start seeing their OB weekly?
I know this pregnancy is going pretty damn smoothly, but it doesn't look like they'll start weekly appointments with me until I hit 35 weeks. The midwife and ultrasound technician both think I'll go into labor by then! WTF? I have another appointment this coming Thursday so I'm going to flat out ask her why I'm not being seen weekly, yet. I also want to know why they're not planning on starting NSTs or BPPs until 35 weeks. Sure my cervix still measured 5cm at 29 1/2 weeks, but the boys are big! Approximately 3lbs 9oz each..66th percentile. That's one to two weeks ahead. Luckily their fluid levels are back to normal, though. But still!
Plus, I think I'm having contractions at night. I wake up 2-4 times a night due to pain in my hips, abdomen, and belly. I've mentioned before that I've got an issue with that gotta-go sensation so I don't typically wake up at night until my bladder is wayyyy too full. I think this is contributing to whatever is going on with my uterus at night. And of course, only laying on one side or another is causing the hip pain. But it's the pain in my belly that's concerning me.
Oh well. Like I said, I'm going to talk to my doctor about it next week. Or if things get worse at night, I'll call and talk to her.
7 comments:
I have no idea. They don't start seeing me weekly until I think 37 weeks, but I've only got one.
They started seeing me weekly at 30 weeks. The idea initially was to alternate having BPPs and NSTs , but since they weren't too successful with the NSTs they just did ultrasounds/BPPs every week.
I don't think there is a standard time for weekly appointments with twins-at least with my OB's practice. I was told every 2 weeks until 32 weeks and then they'll see if they think I should be seen weekly.
I have no idea (obv) but I hope you somehow have things get better at night.
I think it was 32 weeks when I started coming in weekly for NSTs, fluid checks and OB appointments.
My hips KILLED, too...and it isn't uncommon to have contractions at this stage in the game, but if they get more pronounced or frequent, you definitely want to call your OB.
Every Ob is different.
As long as your BP is okay and you are well, there is probably no need to see you weekly unusually early just because of the twins.
Fwiw- I never got to weekly appointments and I made 36 weeks. Just. Oh, and I never had a singe NST or BPP. But we DID have monthly growth scans to make sure thebabies were doing well, which they were.
Basically, if nothing's wrong, why overservice? But if it makes you at all worried, then go in more often :)
J
I started going every week at 28 weeks. I had the same pains as you, but I did not suffer from the gotta-go sensations as much. I guess they think you're doing well, but if it bothers you, just ask for more appointment. To be honest? I don't think I needed to go that often, but I did what they told me. It got really hard to move that much toward the end though and getting on and off that table was almost impossible without DH!!!
Post a Comment