I need help. Trip won't. quit. biting. Poor Jack screams at bedtime and naptime. I'm pretty sure it's because Trip tortures him after we go downstairs*. If Jaws doesn't want to go to sleep (or wants out of his room) he bites Jack. I counted 10 bite marks on Jack after nap today. 10.
We've tried explaining this is bad and hurts. We've scolded. We've bit him back. We've popped his mouth. We've tried time-out. We've tried combinations of these things. We're at our wits end!!!
I'd appreciate any advice, suggestions, stories you have to offer. Please! Our last option is to move Jack into the nursery and out of his room with Trip. I don't think this is a really valid option since a) there will be a newborn in there before I know it and b) we've never been able to get them to sleep if they're not in the room together.
*Any time I hear Jack start with his "I've been attacked" scream, I head back into their room. I don't just leave him. I always tell them both to stay in bed and NO BITING before I leave the room.
7 comments:
Emily has started biting a little so I've been reading a lot. Here is what I learned:
Using spanking or what have you will probably backfire b/c you are trying to teach them not to be physically aggressive
What is really going on? Is he frustrated? Is he getting revenge for other behavior? Teething?
Try a book. I thought it sounded dumb, too, but it's actually kind of working. We have one called Doodle Bites
That's just info I have gathered. I think it's different for everyone, though. I'm sorry - I know how frustrating it is....
What if you try putting all of the attention on Jack and not paying attention to Trip after the incidents? Extra lavish sympathy to the victim? You do risk Jack catching on and taking advantage, but without knowing their personalities, I don't know how likely that is. I just wondered if taking the attention away from Trip might discourage the action. Just a thought! I hope you find a solution soon!
Holy crap! 10 bite marks??
I would definitely threaten the separation thing. A friend of mine says all she has to do is threaten and they settle right down.
Hailey was a biter when she was younger and we did the time-outs, but you can't exactly do that when they're taking naps. How do they sleep? Could you also threaten the crib coming back? Mine are still in cribs, so there is a little more control happening. Good luck...it's so frustrating when one child is hurting another!
EEEK! I am paying attention to the comments on this one for future reference!
My mom bit me nack too and shesaid that worked.
I don't hav any suggestions, I'm sorry.
I hope it gets better.
I'm a bit late. I totally agree with suessgirl, but don't really have a lot of personal experience. I did witness a child bite another one at Smooch's daycare one day and that is what the teacher did. She didn't react to the child that did it at first in anyway. She put all her attention into the victim and when that child was calm and playing nicely again she placed the other one in the quiet corner.
yikes. I have absolutly NO ideas for ya! Crazy. Good luck with it!
Post a Comment